WV College Wrestling Schedules

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
mscoach57

WV College Wrestling Schedules

Postby mscoach57 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:45 am

Any idea when WVU, Glenville, Fairmont, West Liberty, Wheeling, WVU Tech, AB, D&E, Bluefield, OVU will release a schedule with time, date and opponent?

Unranked WVU football just packed the stadium for a matchup with 15th ranked Virginia Tech. Do you suppose the stadium would have been packed if the event was announced a couple of weeks ago? Fans will plan long weekends and maybe take a days vacation around a wrestling event if someone will treat the schedules as something to be proud of rather than documents that need high security clearance. Coach Flynn made a reference to the schedule and teased us with a few teams coming to town but absolutely nothing for us to plan a trip to Morgantown. If WVU has a Sports Information Director then he or she has been worthless when it comes to wrestling. Bringing in Kyle Bratke is a much needed breath of fresh air.

Glenville, Fairmont, West Liberty, Wheeling, WVU Tech, AB, D&E, Bluefield, OVU you have even more reason to release your schedules! Beat WVU to the punch. Hype up your schedule on WVmat and social media. There are many fans who have driven all over ohio and pennsylvania for years to watch wrestling. You may see some of us retired guys at your matches if you give us some notice.

Jon Perkins

Re: WV College Wrestling Schedules

Postby Jon Perkins » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:55 pm

I am not sure of all the schools mentioned but I am fairly sure that the Athletic Director for WVU is the one that releases the schedules for each team. And no, he does not get in a hurry to release the wrestling schedule. Usually WVU is one of the last teams to release their schedule as it typically comes out around the second week of October. As a fan it is very frustrating because I want to see who the wrestle. Although I have seen on some of the other teams schedules and seen where WVU will wrestle Virginia Teck, NC State, and Ohio University. I am not sure what tournaments they plan on attending or what their Big 12 Conference schedule looks like but I am sure it will be tough. Hang in there as we will all wait together.

Pottstd

Postby Pottstd » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:27 pm

Unfortunately, I think all of the Division II schools (West Lib, Tech, Bluefield, Wheeling, Glenville, etc.) are limited as I dont think there is certainty around how the season will look, if they will have the ability to get to certain tournaments, etc.

I agree though, WVU's schedule has always seemed last minute, and honestly has limited my ability to attend matches or to plan to do so. I also see all these other teams advertising season tickets, and never see WVU selling wrestling season tickets, etc. I would buy them just to support the program as I assume they would be very reasonable, but its just seems like WVU makes it difficult to support its wrestling program.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:53 pm

The little things make the big things happen.

Dragging out getting your schedule finalized and made public is an indicator of problems rather than having a finely tuned machine.

WVU doesn't have their schedule made public yet. Wisconsin does.

Who is WV's most decorated high school wrestler?

Where did said wrestler choose to go to school?

Another school of thought. There might be many parents of wrestlers out there that do not know the difference between an arm bar and a bar and grill. They might think a "stand up" is the latest dance craze. However, one thing all people understand is last minute action, delayed action, late action and no action.

Heck, stating "Home quad, December 20th, teams to be announced" tells the fans what they need for preliminary planning.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KBratke

Postby KBratke » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:16 pm

Holy speculation!

If it was up to us in the WVU Wrestling Pavilion our schedule would have been out a long time ago. However, since we wrestle in the Coliseum, and most of the teams in the Big 12 also compete inside their basketball arena, we have to wait until the Big 12 basketball schedule is released before we can even begin to finalize it. I know we are in the final steps of the process and I can’t imagine that it won’t be out next week.

There are a lot of moving parts when trying to create a schedule for a sport that shares its competition venues with multiple sports that are in-season at the same time. Out of conference away duals also provide a challenge as you have to work with their conferences basketball schedules and that schools sports that are also in-season.

The Big Ten just released their schedule on September 14, and Ohio State and Michigan still haven't released their non-conference slates, not every ACC or Pac-12 school has released their schedule, and other big-time schools in our conference (Oklahoma State, Missouri, UNI) haven't released their schedules yet. Unfortunately, this is the reality of our sport. However, it won't stop schools from all over the country from having big crowds at home duals.

Obviously winning puts butts in the seats, but there's no doubt this program is going in the right direction, and when we host Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Columbia, Chattanooga, Cleveland State, Utah Valley, and Wyoming, I hope to see plenty of gold and blue in the Coliseum.

Again, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email at kyle.bratke@mail.wvu.edu. I'll even go a step further and give you my office phone if you would rather talk. It's 304-293-9844.

Let's Go Mountaineers!

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:14 pm

Thanks you Kyle for clearing that up for everyone. I wasn't completely sure as to why the schedule came out later than most others but I knew it was more complex than the coaches not wanting to release it. And once again the basketball team getting in way of the way of the wrestling team, it's like a dime holding up a dollar :D

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:31 pm

KBratke wrote:Holy speculation!

If it was up to us in the WVU Wrestling Pavilion our schedule would have been out a long time ago. However, since we wrestle in the Coliseum, and most of the teams in the Big 12 also compete inside their basketball arena, we have to wait until the Big 12 basketball schedule is released before we can even begin to finalize it. I know we are in the final steps of the process and I can’t imagine that it won’t be out next week.

There are a lot of moving parts when trying to create a schedule for a sport that shares its competition venues with multiple sports that are in-season at the same time. Out of conference away duals also provide a challenge as you have to work with their conferences basketball schedules and that schools sports that are also in-season.

The Big Ten just released their schedule on September 14, and Ohio State and Michigan still haven't released their non-conference slates, not every ACC or Pac-12 school has released their schedule, and other big-time schools in our conference (Oklahoma State, Missouri, UNI) haven't released their schedules yet. Unfortunately, this is the reality of our sport. However, it won't stop schools from all over the country from having big crowds at home duals.

Obviously winning puts butts in the seats, but there's no doubt this program is going in the right direction, and when we host Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Columbia, Chattanooga, Cleveland State, Utah Valley, and Wyoming, I hope to see plenty of gold and blue in the Coliseum.

Again, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email at kyle.bratke@mail.wvu.edu. I'll even go a step further and give you my office phone if you would rather talk. It's 304-293-9844.

Let's Go Mountaineers!

Activity breeds activity. The comments brought your response. Furthermore, thank God you are there. I do not recall anybody from WVU monitoring and providing feedback on the forum in the past 10+ years. Many think the forum is a waste of time. It is also a channel of communication used by many. Everybody can decide how they use different tools.

Regarding the teams mentioned above that WVU is hosting, do we have firm dates for these home matches now? If so, can they be shared?

I for one would rather have a partial schedule now and then let the final draft come when it is final.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:47 am

Great News WVU Fans
While WVU cannot yet spill the tea, our opponents have released their complete schedules so I can release some away and home matches
Mark you calendars for

Saturday November 13, 2021 at WVU Morgantown WV
Oklahoma University

Sunday December 5, 2021 at Ohio University Athens Ohio
Ohio University

Sunday January 9, 2022 at Virginia Tech Blacksburg VA
Virginia Tech and Binghamton

Sunday January 16, 2022 at WVU Morgantown WV
Oklahoma State and Columbia

Friday January 28, 2022 7pm at SDSU Brookings SD
South Dakota State University

Saturday January 29, 2022 1pm at NDSU Fargo ND
North Dakota State University

I hope this is of some help to the parents of our wrestler from Illinois, Indiana, New York and Montana. Thank you for waiting patiently to request vacation from your employer and watching air ticket prices increase with each passing day.
Last edited by mscoach57 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:55 pm

mscoach57 wrote:Great News WVU Fans
While WVU cannot yet spill the tea, our opponents have released their complete schedules so I can release some away and home matches
Mark you calendars for

Saturday November 13, 2021 at WVU Morgantown WV
Oklahoma University

Sunday December 5, 2021 at Ohio University Athens Ohio
Ohio University

Sunday January 9, 2022 at Virginia Tech Blacksburg VA
Virginia Tech and Binghamton

Sunday January 16, 2022 at WVU Morgantown WV
Oklahoma State and Columbia

I hope this is of some help to the parents of our wrestler from Illinois, Indiana, New York and Montana. Thank you for waiting patiently to request vacation from your employer and watching air ticket prices increase with each passing day.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Do not let "perfect" be the enemy of "better".

Some information is better than no information.

It would be interesting to see what order the teams in the Big 12 submitted their schedule. Once this order becomes known, it would be interesting to see how the same teams place in the Big 12 tournament. I feel confident that the bottom 50% in scheduling will also place in the bottom 50% regarding competition.

Great job in tracking down the scheduling information and thank you.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:22 pm

Found this on WrestleStat.com
https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/76/wes ... ia/profile
Looks like Home Team is listed second

11/13/21 Dual Oklahoma - West Virginia Dual #15 Oklahoma
11/19/21 Dual West Virginia - Davidson Dual #75 Davidson
12/05/21 Dual West Virginia - Ohio Dual #43 Ohio
12/11/21 Dual Michigan State - West Virginia Dual #19 Michigan State
12/12/21 Dual West Virginia - VMI Dual #69 VMI
12/20/21 Dual Cleveland State - West Virginia Dual #49 Cleveland State
12/20/21 Dual Chattanooga - West Virginia Dual #57 Chattanooga
01/09/22 Dual West Virginia - Virginia Tech Dual #8 Virginia Tech
01/09/22 Dual Binghamton - West Virginia Dual #41 Binghamton
01/16/22 Dual Columbia - West Virginia Dual #51 Columbia
01/16/22 Dual Oklahoma State - West Virginia Dual #5 Oklahoma State
01/28/22 Dual West Virginia - South Dakota State Dual #23 South Dakota State
01/29/22 Dual West Virginia - North Dakota State Dual #29 North Dakota State
02/12/22 Dual Utah Valley - West Virginia Dual #32 Utah Valley
03/05/22 Tournament Big 12 Championships
03/17/22 Tournament NCAA Championships

KBratke

Postby KBratke » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:38 pm

Again, if we could have put the schedule out months ago, we would have. As soon as we can put everything out, I will post it here. I apologize that this is frustrating, but is just where our sport is.

I'm sure Iowa State, Northern Iowa, and Wyoming will struggle this year since they have also not put their schedules out, and Oklahoma State since they just released their schedule today.

Schools without schedules out yet: Arizona State, Michigan, North Carolina State, Northwestern, Ohio State, Oregon State, Pitt, Princeton, Stanford, just to name a few. I have a feeling all of those schools will be pretty darn good this season.

When you release a schedule, and how you compete has zero correlation. If you have any questions, please reach out to me at kyle.bratke@mail.wvu.edu or by phone at 304-293-9844.

Let's Go Mountaineers!

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:20 pm

If you need the schedules that you mentioned then I would recommend checking these links. Wyoming looks like the schedule may be a partial schedule.
Iowa State https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/35/iowa-state/profile
Northern Iowa https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/52/nor ... wa/profile
Wyoming https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/78/wyoming/profile

Arizona State https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/4/ariz ... te/profile
Michigan https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/40/michigan/profile
NC State https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/47/nor ... te/profile
Northwestern https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/53/nor ... rn/profile
Ohio State https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/55/ohio-state/profile
Oregon State https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/59/ore ... te/profile
Pitt https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/62/pittsburgh/profile
Princeton https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/63/princeton/profile
Stanford https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/70/stanford/profile

Is the WVU schedule that I posted in the post prior to yours from wrestlestat.com correct? If so, maybe copy and paste it into some cool Mountaineer graphic and light up social media with the big announcement.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:48 pm

mscoach57 wrote:Found this on WrestleStat.com
Looks like Home Team is listed second

Keep digging Amigo!! We will know what is going on sooner or later so we can go support WVU's program. Eventually, the other parties more directly involved with supporting the program will catch on. Great work!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:00 pm

KBratke wrote:Again, if we could have put the schedule out months ago, we would have. As soon as we can put everything out, I will post it here. I apologize that this is frustrating, but is just where our sport is.

I'm sure Iowa State, Northern Iowa, and Wyoming will struggle this year since they have also not put their schedules out, and Oklahoma State since they just released their schedule today.

Schools without schedules out yet: Arizona State, Michigan, North Carolina State, Northwestern, Ohio State, Oregon State, Pitt, Princeton, Stanford, just to name a few. I have a feeling all of those schools will be pretty darn good this season.

When you release a schedule, and how you compete has zero correlation. If you have any questions, please reach out to me at kyle.bratke@mail.wvu.edu or by phone at 304-293-9844.

Let's Go Mountaineers!

I agree with your statement on the correlation of schedule release vs performance. However, WVU is not demonstrating to be a leader in getting their schedule released in relation to their opponents. mscoach57 is providing us fans with more information to plan with than anybody else.

Furthermore, a few seasons ago, WVU was going to Parkersburg to compete against Ohio University. The word on the street was it was the "marketing" department that used Hunter DeLong's face as the poster child for the WVU dual in Parkersburg. Of course DeLong was a Parkersburg town boy. DeLong wasn't varsity, he wasn't allowed to compete AND HE WASN'T EVEN TAKEN ALONG for the trip. This was before your time as the Operations Man. I hope you can help prevent stuff like this. It MADE WVU look stupid in the eyes of many.

KBratke

Postby KBratke » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:29 pm

Here ya go! Hope to see you in the Coliseum, Athens, or around the country this season.

https://wvusports.com/news/2021/10/4/wr ... edule.aspx

Let's Go Mountaineers!

JoeGiovengo

Postby JoeGiovengo » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:33 pm

Tough Schedule for the Mountaineers. Time to step up to the challenge. Thanks Kyle

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:46 pm

Thanks Kyle.
I know wrestle offs are traditionally in the wrestling room. Are wrestle offs open to the public or live-streamed this year? We shouldn’t need to get permission from Athletic Director Lyons as we tiptoe around men’s and women’s basketball schedules in the coliseum.
You have a fan base who want to support the team.

KBratke

Postby KBratke » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:01 pm

Wrestle-offs will be open to the public. You may have to wear a mask as that is the school's policy right inside all WVU buildings. We are waiting to see what time the football game is on the 30th so that we don't go head-to-head with that. We are also hosting an alumni tailgate that weekend so trying to make sure our former wrestlers can see the team compete and enjoy a football game as well. As soon as we have an exact time and location I will be sure to blast that everywhere.

Trust me, we appreciate the support!

Let's Go Mountaineers!

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:06 pm

Thanks Kyle Bratke
Football has been hard to watch so I am more anxious then usual to see the team compete.

KBratke

Postby KBratke » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:24 am

I'm not sure if you guys saw or not yet, but we added another dual to our schedule yesterday! On December 10 at 7 PM in the Coliseum, we'll take on Glenville State! https://wvusports.com/news/2021/10/14/w ... ndout.aspx

We had one more open date on our schedule due to a previous event we were going to attend being canceled, and we thought it would be cool to add a dual with a West Virginia team. This one is even cooler as Glenville State is of course coached by Dylan Cottrell, who was our first Big 12 champion.

I think this is something we would like to continue to do moving forward and include more of the West Virginia schools. Hope to see everyone there.

Let's Go Mountaineers!

Return to “Collegiate”