WIN ranks WVU 41 of 53 teams

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aacoach61

WIN ranks WVU 41 of 53 teams

Postby aacoach61 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:37 am

I was disappointed to see our school ranked 41T of 53 schools preseason by WIN magazine. Very disappointed. Let’s hope we prove WIN wrong. It’s time to turn the corner as a team in 2021-22.

Bearhugger

Re: WIN ranks WVU 41 of 53 teams

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:07 pm

aacoach61 wrote:I was disappointed to see our school ranked 41T of 53 schools preseason by WIN magazine. Very disappointed. Let’s hope we prove WIN wrong. It’s time to turn the corner as a team in 2021-22.

Did WIN Magazine provide their logic and/or criteria used in ranking the teams in the preseason order?

As we all know, WVU finished tied for 31st in the team rankings at the NCAA tournament.

A 31st placing team with four returning NCAA qualifiers enters the preseason with only two of the NCAA qualifiers returning.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:41 pm

WIN has 125 Cardinale at #10 and 165 Hall at #16
Which means WIN doesn’t think WV will have any All Americans. Remember that round of 16 is “not impressive” according to WVU’s number 1 fan so these rankings are not encouraging. Jon says this is our best team in a long time. I sure hope he’s right and WIN and Intermat are wrong.

At risk of upsetting someone I hope WIN is right about
157 Lehigh’s Josh Humphreys WV 4x state champ who is ranked #8 which would put him in the mix of being an All American.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:19 pm

mscoach57 wrote:WIN has 125 Cardinale at #10 and 165 Hall at #16
Which means WIN doesn’t think WV will have any All Americans. Remember that round of 16 is “not impressive” according to WVU’s number 1 fan so these rankings are not encouraging. Jon says this is our best team in a long time. I sure hope he’s right and WIN and Intermat are wrong.

At risk of upsetting someone I hope WIN is right about
157 Lehigh’s Josh Humphreys WV 4x state champ who is ranked #8 which would put him in the mix of being an All American.

I was texting with my good friend "TrueSouthFanFromPartsUnknown" today and he predicts Hall will finish top 8. I hope he is right. On the other hand, he doesn't predict Cardinale to All American this season. All AA 125s are back plus new ones coming in. I guess we shall see how things go.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:30 pm

Everyone needs to remember that last year at the NCAA tournament Killian Cardinale was seeded 17th and Peyton Hall was seeded 21st. They both wrestled way above their seed with Killian being an All-American and Peyton making the round of 12. Noah was suppose to contend for an All-American finish but instead went 1-2. The point is that all sorts of things can and will happen. There is going to be surprises and disappointments all year long. I do not know how everyone will finish the year nor will I make any predictions but our guys are going to do ok. With Peyton and Killian returning they should make a good showing and I feel like Jeffrey Boyd and Michael Wolfgram was on the verge of making big improvements at the end of last year and Luke Karam is a 3 time PA state champ so he obviously has some good credentials. Who knows what we will have at 133 but there is some awful good potential there. And I may be a little too optimistic here but I think Hornfeck at 157 and Joll at 174 are going to be competitive as well. There was a guy that transferred in at 174 from Lock Haven, who knows what he may add. We as fans may not end up with the results we want at the end of the season but success is subjective. While WVU may not have a top 20 finish this year, I honestly think they are not that far off, they have a lot young talent we may not get to see this year. I believe that we will have a real good idea of what the team is going to look like by Thanksgiving. They will have wrestled in one tournament and two top 15 schools and that should be a big enough sample size to see what we got.

I do not know what all the rankings are and where everyone in the country will fall, I do think that we all should be pulling for all of the boys from WV to do well. Whether it is Josh Humphries, Braxton Amos, or John Martin Best.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:00 am

Jon Perkins wrote:Everyone needs to remember that last year at the NCAA tournament Killian Cardinale was seeded 17th and Peyton Hall was seeded 21st. They both wrestled way above their seed with Killian being an All-American and Peyton making the round of 12. Noah was suppose to contend for an All-American finish but instead went 1-2. The point is that all sorts of things can and will happen. There is going to be surprises and disappointments all year long. I do not know how everyone will finish the year nor will I make any predictions but our guys are going to do ok. With Peyton and Killian returning they should make a good showing and I feel like Jeffrey Boyd and Michael Wolfgram was on the verge of making big improvements at the end of last year and Luke Karam is a 3 time PA state champ so he obviously has some good credentials. Who knows what we will have at 133 but there is some awful good potential there. And I may be a little too optimistic here but I think Hornfeck at 157 and Joll at 174 are going to be competitive as well. There was a guy that transferred in at 174 from Lock Haven, who knows what he may add. We as fans may not end up with the results we want at the end of the season but success is subjective. While WVU may not have a top 20 finish this year, I honestly think they are not that far off, they have a lot young talent we may not get to see this year. I believe that we will have a real good idea of what the team is going to look like by Thanksgiving. They will have wrestled in one tournament and two top 15 schools and that should be a big enough sample size to see what we got.

I do not know what all the rankings are and where everyone in the country will fall, I do think that we all should be pulling for all of the boys from WV to do well. Whether it is Josh Humphries, Braxton Amos, or John Martin Best.

Success is subjective? As fans, wrestlers, parents of wrestlers, coaches and athletic directors, we need to put together some performance indicators (PI) to make season to season comparison less subjective.

Not in any order:

1. # of NCAA qualifiers.
2. # of All Americans.
3. # of place winners in the Big 12.
4. Final team standing in the Big 12.
5. Duel record. I think the other 4 PIs are more important.
6. ?????
7. ?????

It would be interesting to use the PIs above and review the past 2 to 4 seasons.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:00 am

Jon Perkins wrote:Everyone needs to remember that last year at the NCAA tournament Killian Cardinale was seeded 17th and Peyton Hall was seeded 21st. They both wrestled way above their seed with Killian being an All-American and Peyton making the round of 12. Noah was suppose to contend for an All-American finish but instead went 1-2. The point is that all sorts of things can and will happen. There is going to be surprises and disappointments all year long. I do not know how everyone will finish the year nor will I make any predictions but our guys are going to do ok. With Peyton and Killian returning they should make a good showing and I feel like Jeffrey Boyd and Michael Wolfgram was on the verge of making big improvements at the end of last year and Luke Karam is a 3 time PA state champ so he obviously has some good credentials. Who knows what we will have at 133 but there is some awful good potential there. And I may be a little too optimistic here but I think Hornfeck at 157 and Joll at 174 are going to be competitive as well. There was a guy that transferred in at 174 from Lock Haven, who knows what he may add. We as fans may not end up with the results we want at the end of the season but success is subjective. While WVU may not have a top 20 finish this year, I honestly think they are not that far off, they have a lot young talent we may not get to see this year. I believe that we will have a real good idea of what the team is going to look like by Thanksgiving. They will have wrestled in one tournament and two top 15 schools and that should be a big enough sample size to see what we got.

Success is subjective? As fans, wrestlers, parents of wrestlers, coaches and athletic directors, we need to put together some performance indicators (PI) to make season to season comparison less subjective.

Not in any order:

1. # of NCAA qualifiers.
2. # of All Americans.
3. # of place winners in the Big 12.
4. Final team standing in the Big 12.
5. Duel record. I think the other 4 PIs are more important.
6. ?????
7. ?????

It would be interesting to use the PIs above and review the past 2 to 4 seasons.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:13 am

Iron sharpens iron

Return to “Collegiate”