Shawn Taylor

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Letsgooo

Shawn Taylor

Postby Letsgooo » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:42 pm

Haven’t seen anything on here but we got a commitment from the kid. Good get for us. Our middle weight needed help badly. Now with Watters and Taylor committed can we please get Wright?!?! We need another upper weight to pair with Conley. 174, 184 and 197 are all needed.

Looks like we’re going to have to hopefully find a descent 125 in the portal.

Jon Perkins

Re: Shawn Taylor

Postby Jon Perkins » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:36 am

Shawn Taylor is definitely a good grab for the Mountaineers and Gage would also be a nice addition to the team, but there a lot of factors that go into a kid selecting a college and even a college selecting a kid. Let's hope that Gage and the coaching staff can work out a deal they both feel comfortable with, he would definitely be a fan favorite. Who knows, if the team can get Gage to commit along with Taylor and Watters, they might be able to snag another top recruit from western PA that those three are buddies with.

As far as the rest of the lineup at the Top End, I think it is coming together slowly but surely. No one knows if Conley is going to redshirt, or not, but he will be tough at 174. Carman is slowly coming along at 184 and Cooley at 197 should be pretty solid, he will be an improvement from last year. I like the addition of Brian Finnerty and Ian Bush at these weights. Neither of these guys were national super stars in HS but they are both pretty dang tough and will help solidify the lineup.

After watching Dolan wrestle at the Super 32 this weekend I think he will be a good addition as well. He definitely has the skill set, he just needs to add a little size.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:05 pm

Is this the same Shawn Taylor that Patrick Jackson of Spring Mills defeated this past weekend at Super 32????????????????????
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:58 am

Bearhugger wrote:Is this the same Shawn Taylor that Patrick Jackson of Spring Mills defeated this past weekend at Super 32????????????????????

I don't know how to take this. I am going to assume that with all the question marks this is to be meant be sarcastic. Mr. Jackson had himself a good weekend at Super 32, he beat a Top 20 kid and had a couple of tight losses to Top 15 kids. Any time you go 4 -2 or 5-2 at the Super 32 tournament you have accomplished something, and I am sure that he turned some heads of college coaches. I have never seen him wrestle personally but man he is stingy on top. But this particular match was not a testament to either wrestler's offensive abilities. It was almost like they have trained with each other before and was concentrating more on defending and anticipating the other guys shot. Shawn was a little more offensive on their feet, but that's not saying much, and Patrick was able to defend just enough to drag the match into overtime where he finally prevailed on a flukish locked hands call. Despite the locked hands call, he may have went on to escape and get the victory in the Ride Out period but this match was the perfect example of why they use numbers to keep score and not pictures, because it wasn't a pretty match from my perspective. Patick wrestled much better in his two losses than he did in this match and the same goes for Shawn, he wrestled much better in his other loss than he did in this match. Overall, both guys had a good showing at the tournament.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:22 pm

Jon Perkins wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:Is this the same Shawn Taylor that Patrick Jackson of Spring Mills defeated this past weekend at Super 32????????????????????

I don't know how to take this. I am going to assume that with all the question marks this is to be meant be sarcastic. Mr. Jackson had himself a good weekend at Super 32, he beat a Top 20 kid and had a couple of tight losses to Top 15 kids. Any time you go 4 -2 or 5-2 at the Super 32 tournament you have accomplished something, and I am sure that he turned some heads of college coaches. I have never seen him wrestle personally but man he is stingy on top. But this particular match was not a testament to either wrestler's offensive abilities. It was almost like they have trained with each other before and was concentrating more on defending and anticipating the other guys shot. Shawn was a little more offensive on their feet, but that's not saying much, and Patrick was able to defend just enough to drag the match into overtime where he finally prevailed on a flukish locked hands call. Despite the locked hands call, he may have went on to escape and get the victory in the Ride Out period but this match was the perfect example of why they use numbers to keep score and not pictures, because it wasn't a pretty match from my perspective. Patick wrestled much better in his two losses than he did in this match and the same goes for Shawn, he wrestled much better in his other loss than he did in this match. Overall, both guys had a good showing at the tournament.

A simple yes or no would have worked.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:48 pm

A simple yes or no would have worked.

Maybe you are unfamiliar with how a message board or a public forum works. Someone starts a conversation with an idea and others then expand on the idea and/or present different opinions on the idea. Sometimes you will agree with someone's opinion and other times you won't, this is ok and completely normal, because that is what leads to good conversations. Whether you agree with someone or not you have two choices: Option 1; you can respectively add to the conversation or you can pick Option 2; you can remain quiet. "Yes" and "No" answers are only useful if you are answering questions in front of a jury or if you are hooked up to a lie detector, in which either of those scenarios a conversation is not appropriate. So, I apologize if my part of the conversation didn't meet your approval. I was only trying to add to the conversation by selecting Option 1, whereas you did not add anything to the conversation and should have selected Option 2.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:07 pm

Jon Perkins wrote:Shawn Taylor is definitely a good grab for the Mountaineers and Gage would also be a nice addition to the team, but there a lot of factors that go into a kid selecting a college and even a college selecting a kid. Let's hope that Gage and the coaching staff can work out a deal they both feel comfortable with, he would definitely be a fan favorite. Who knows, if the team can get Gage to commit along with Taylor and Watters, they might be able to snag another top recruit from western PA that those three are buddies with.

As far as the rest of the lineup at the Top End, I think it is coming together slowly but surely. No one knows if Conley is going to redshirt, or not, but he will be tough at 174. Carman is slowly coming along at 184 and Cooley at 197 should be pretty solid, he will be an improvement from last year. I like the addition of Brian Finnerty and Ian Bush at these weights. Neither of these guys were national super stars in HS but they are both pretty dang tough and will help solidify the lineup.

After watching Dolan wrestle at the Super 32 this weekend I think he will be a good addition as well. He definitely has the skill set, he just needs to add a little size.

Great post. I’d be fine with Wright not choosing WVU. I just want WVU to offer whatever other teams are and prolly a little more lol. Gotta try and keep the best kids in the state imo and that’s in every sport.
Dolan is nice. He’s just very very small. While his brother seems to be growing. So hopefully there’s a growth spurt in there.

No idea what PA kid you’re talking about that the other three are friends with and I understand you not saying. Is this friend uncommitted? Lol

I’d like Jackson as well lol.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:06 pm

I was making a general statement when I said that these three recruits might bring along a friend. I don't have any idea who these guys are friends with and who they know, but I do know that high level athletes tend to train with and know other high level athletes. I also know that there are a few highly ranked guys from western PA that are uncommitted that would fit in the bottom and top of the lineup.

Return to “Collegiate”