... on the Football-Wrestling Connection
On many different occasions, I have emphasized how the sport of wrestling can be very beneficial to football players, especially lineman and linebackers. A few years ago, Bill Burlingame, an assistant football and wrestling coach from East Liverpool (Ohio) High School, listed "Ten Good Reasons for Football Players to Wrestle." They are as follows:
1. Agility--The ability of one to change the position
of his body efficiently and easily.
2. Quickness--The ability to make a series of movements in a very short period of time.
3. Balance--The maintenance of body equilibrium through muscular control.
4. Flexibility--The ability to make a wide range of muscular movements.
5. Coordination--The ability to put together a combination of movements in a flowing rhythm.
6. Endurance--The development of muscular and cardiovascular-respiratory stamina.
7. Muscular Power (explosiveness)--The ability to use strength and speed simultaneously.
8. Aggresiveness--The willingness to keep on trying or pushing your adversary at all times.
9. Discipline--The desire to make the sacrifices necessary to become a better athlete and person.
10. A Winning Attitude--The inner knowledge that you will do your best - win or lose.
What football coach could ask for more? So, I think it would be very unwise for West Virginia football mentors to ignore this "Football-Wrestling Connection." Don't you
Updated March 16, 1999