24/25 outlook

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
NJwvu12

24/25 outlook

Postby NJwvu12 » Sat May 18, 2024 9:23 pm

The line up next year will look very similar to last years as things stand right now .Strong possibility we ll only have 2 new starters in the line up . If Jett is planning on going 125 again then Maddox a recent transfer from buffalo will be the starter at 133 , I wouldn’t expect him to be much better then Rhodes and the only difference maker left in the portal at 133 is 2x AA Chris Cannon and he is probably both out of our N.I.L. and academic reach .

And 197 seems cleared out for top recruit Rune Lawerence to get the chance if he can make the weight for a season. Outside of these 2 weights everyone else should be familiar
125- Jett Strickenberger - I thought he would move up to 133 , seemed the weight cut was affecting him a bit late in the season but if he gets the weight under control he showed he’s good enough to AA
133- see above

141- Jordan Titus - coming off a strong year hopefully he builds more strength and keeps developing his leg attacks bc guys are looking for his duck now and he needs a little more offense if he wants to AA

149- Watters should be a title contender this year with Henson, Van Ness and Lovett . Sky is limit for Watters he can be a national champ this year . Henson is a tough match up for him but Van Ness owns Henson so Watters can win it without beating him , either way excited to watch another year of his style

157- Most likely Dowling , solid guy maybe a NQ maybe not you know what you are getting , also think it’s possible Hillegas goes 149 and Watters goes up to 157 which would definitely be our best dual lineup but I think lowers Watters ncaa title chances

165- Peyton Halls last run in a cleared out weight, carr graduated , O’Toole up to 174 , Messenbrink down to 157 , maybe Haines goes 165 maybe he RS ..Weight should be wide open and I think hall can beat anyone at the weight other then Haines hopefully he is a High AA in his last run

174- Conley should make a good jump this year someone who will be R16/R12 maybe a low AA still young had a few good wins including over an ncaa quarter finalist

184- Dennis Robin set to return for his 3rd yr as a starter , he was screwed out of a bid this year and needs to pick a few more top 30 wins this year to avoid the same fate

197- Rune Lawerence / Anthony Carmen , Carmen has been a starter and I could see him starting the year at 197 while Lawerence adjusts to college but I think Rune is a R12 at worst guy right off the bat and eventually takes the spot if he can hold the weight

285-one final year for Wolfgram , he regressed last season and seemed to have a case of HEW at times , I was surprised he came back for a 6th yr hopefully he finds that motivation he had earlier in his career and is atleast NQ level again

All in all should be a solid dual team and could move up our ncaa finish with high finishes from Peyton and Watters and Titus, Jett, Rune and Conley having solid tournaments and at least 1 getting on the podium . Much like the past few years it’s a slow build and we should be a little better again this season . Missouri may be a little down this season and with otoole moving up away from Hall we match up much better and maybe can knock them off, Iowa state and Oklahoma State will be tough hills to climb and South Dakota state is tough but they lose Sloan but Hahn and co will always be a tough match up.

Personally I’m feeling optimistic about this season how is everyone else feeling?

Geoswaff

Re: 24/25 outlook

Postby Geoswaff » Wed May 22, 2024 9:45 am

I think you are probably pretty close. I really like how our team has not portaled and has stayed pretty steady. Continuity in the mat room could be a bonus that most teams don't enjoy.

I hope Jett goes 133 and 1 of the other 125 options step up.

Titus is close and I agree on developing his attacks as he is a bit predictable. Same for bottom as guys are now anticipating his next level granby

Watters is a monster, nuff said.

Dowling is a ? Seems like he is so close sometimes

Peyton should be top 3

I predict R16 for Conley

I think this spot could be Robin, Bush (Who had some nice wins last year), or maybe Taylor. If Hogan is 184 maybe he is in the mix too. I do not think that Carmen can beat them out for the spot.

197 Flex Jr. Tolley or maybe Carmen or other. I think Lawrence RS this year as he makes the move up to HW

285 - Last gasp for Wolfgram. I would think that since he is coming back for year 6 that there has to be some serious motivation there

I think this is a top 15 team this year

NJwvu12

Postby NJwvu12 » Thu May 23, 2024 10:40 am

Geoswaff wrote:I think you are probably pretty close. I really like how our team has not portaled and has stayed pretty steady. Continuity in the mat room could be a bonus that most teams don't enjoy.

I hope Jett goes 133 and 1 of the other 125 options step up.

Titus is close and I agree on developing his attacks as he is a bit predictable. Same for bottom as guys are now anticipating his next level granby

Watters is a monster, nuff said.

Dowling is a ? Seems like he is so close sometimes

Peyton should be top 3

I predict R16 for Conley

I think this spot could be Robin, Bush (Who had some nice wins last year), or maybe Taylor. If Hogan is 184 maybe he is in the mix too. I do not think that Carmen can beat them out for the spot.

197 Flex Jr. Tolley or maybe Carmen or other. I think Lawrence RS this year as he makes the move up to HW

285 - Last gasp for Wolfgram. I would think that since he is coming back for year 6 that there has to be some serious motivation there

I think this is a top 15 team this year

I’m intrigued by Taylor’s potential, I didn’t know much about him but recently have heard good things and saw Willie has him in the top 100 on the final senior big board (54 overall) giving us 3 in the top 54 (2 top 20) and 4 in the top 200 so this is a very important recruiting class for coach Flynn , if these guys work out we could be on our way to being a top 15 team every year

I really think we let Rune go if he can make 197 , 197 loses both finalists and some depth , Lawerence is the best option team wise and I think we try and put our best dual team out this year bc we lose at least 3 maybe as many as 5 starters to graduation after this season

I agree with you I wish Jett would go 133 but I think he has a much higher ceiling at 125 I just hope he gets on the podium this year

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Thu May 23, 2024 7:20 pm

I believe Anthony Carmen is clear out of wrestling now. He went to the military last year and hung up his wrestling shoes last I heard. Unless he decided to return to wrestling room and I have not heard about it.

JohnK73

Postby JohnK73 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:43 pm

Cooley has eligibility left after graduating, not sure if using it here, elsewhere, or just done competing.

NJwvu12

Postby NJwvu12 » Fri May 24, 2024 1:46 pm

Wrestlestat.com is pretty up to date with rosters and it has Carmen listed on the roster at 184 with about 7 other 184s and no Cooley at all

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Sun May 26, 2024 8:26 pm

I don't want to argue with wrestlestat but Anthony was not on the team this past season with 0 matches
https://wvusports.com/documents/2023/11/27/WRES_-_2023-24_Season_Stats.pdf
I'll ask a friend from Moundsville who knows him.

NJwvu12

Postby NJwvu12 » Tue May 28, 2024 8:24 am

mscoach4 wrote:I don't want to argue with wrestlestat but Anthony was not on the team this past season with 0 matches
https://wvusports.com/documents/2023/11/27/WRES_-_2023-24_Season_Stats.pdf
I'll ask a friend from Moundsville who knows him.

Stumbled upon Anthonys social media this weekend and you were correct , he has West Virginia alum in his bio now, wrestlestat missed that one

JohnK73

Postby JohnK73 » Fri May 31, 2024 3:33 pm

Check out coach Flynn’s facebook responses about the roster next year, NIL, etc. it’s on the WVU Wrestling Facebook page, posted 3 days ago.

Return to “Collegiate”